Believe it or not this is the last dish I made before my Grandmother passed. I actually made this on Oct 18.2011 and was working on posting this to my blog that night when I got the most terrible news. As imagined, I never finished the blog post and came across it in my drafts just now. Some may think I shouldn’t post this because of the memory associated with it, but at the end of the day, my Grandmother always said, “Never let good food go to waste!” My blog is called Truth & Good Food and here you have a piece of me. Therefore, here you have my own creation….Whole Wheat White Wine Pasta & Sausage
- Whole wheat penne
- Sausages (Hot or Sweet) ** I used hot sausages
- Fresh Broccoli
- Red Wine vinegar
- Minced garlic
- basil leaves
- Salt & Pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- White wine— your choice, I use whatever I have in stock. That night, I used a Sauvignon Blanc
- Boil pasta al dente
- On the side chop onions and set in a bowl with a little bit of vinegar
- Heat up a little bit of extra virgin olive oil & brown sausages and remove once browned
- Cut sausages up into pieces and place back into heated pan. Continue to cook sausages through and add minced garlic, oregano, & basil.
- Now add some white wine and make sure that the wine begins to simmer and boil a bit. Don’t add too much wine! It’s not a heavy sauce.
- Now add the broccoli and once the broccoli begins to soften a bit, add cooked pasta and pickled onions. Feel free to add a little bit of the vinegar as well
- Mix the pasta and add salt and pepper to taste along with some more olive oil and wine if it need. Don’t over do it! Also make sure to not over cook the broccoli.
- At the end, sprinkle some lemon juice. Just a touch.
Once the pasta is done, serve hot and feel free to eat it with shredded Parmesan cheese or even Feta cheese! I personally love it with feta cheese and I even sprinkle a bit of hot at the end. Enjoy… and if you have some white wine left over, pour yourself a glass!