Tuna fish is said to be a poor man’s meal, but I know it to be a healthy and filling food packed with protein. Before you cringe, understand that there are other tasty ways to make tuna fish other than drowning it with mayonnaise, celery, and eggs. In fact, tuna fish goes great with fresh lemon juice and herbs. My tuna fish summer salad is one of my favorite dishes and I eat this at least twice a week with toasted whole wheat bread or Ritz crackers. It’s healthy, low fat, and filling! I promise that you never tasted a fresher tuna salad than this one!
- Solid White Albacore Tuna in water (has less calories & fat than the one store in oil)
- 1/4th of a red onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp. of fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. of capers
- 1 whole Lemon
- Extra Virgin Oil
- Black pepper
- Adobo or seasoning salt **optional
- Drain your tuna fish and break it up with the tip of a fork.
- Finely chop your onions and cilantro
- Add onions, cilantro, and capers to tuna fish.
- Sprinkle some black pepper and oregano
- Squeeze the juice of the whole lemon
- Mix tuna fish
- Now taste and add a tiny bit of adobo or seasoning if needed. **Note: the capers should provide the salt for this dish but if you feel like it need a little more then go ahead. Just don’t add too much.
- Drizzle a tsp of extra virgin olive oil and mix one last time.
- Place in refrigerator for 20 minutes and eat chilled.